Home and a Forever Family for 2 Weeks - Part 2
New room!
Christmas in April
Brother love
Bubbles
Look who learned to ride a bike today!
Yee Haw!!!
Trouble on three wheels
All three kids were thrilled that Jim's mom, "Mam Maw" was home to greet us. Hung ran to his room and loved his new bunk bed. Then he began opening presents accumulating for the last 2 years. He was so excited.
Watching Hung has been like being with a baby in some ways. Everything is a first. We saw his first rides in a car, bus, train, boat and plane. We saw his first swim, the look of sheer joy when he walked in the sand and ran into the ocean. I love hearing him say "Wow!" every time I get water and ice out of the fridge door dispenser for him.
Saturday we all crashed fairly early. We were all up very early Sunday and decided to go to church. Hung, who most likely had never been in a church before, loved the music and seemed to understand this is a place to behave. Our assistant rector called us up and introduced Hung to the congregation. When people started to clap, he too started clapping and waving - hamming it up. Seeing him go up with the other kids when Father John prepared the Eucharist brought me to tears. We had waited so very long for this moment - when Hung would meet and join our church community. Although he is not yet baptized, when he saw us receive communion, he stood there until Father John gave it to him as well. Just as he saw Mommy do, he walked over and dipped his wafer in the wine and popped it in his mouth. We are pretty sure God didn't mind one bit. After wards, we stayed for our annual church picnic. Hung is probably going to think church is about hamburgers, bounce houses and bubbles!
How is the adjustment going? Well, Hung still seems to be doing better than the rest of us. Yesterday Jim took him to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant late in the day to get some Pho and have a chat with the owners in his native tongue. He told them he loves his new home and room but the misses Vietnam. He also said he is very happy. It shows. He was not at all scared of our 2 big dogs. He is calling Murphy "Moo-fy." He is beyond thrilled that we have a pool. Swim lessons are in the immediate future.
And Miss Lily? Well.....its hard not being the center of attention after 3 years. It is hard to share your toys with someone who does not want to share theirs but wants all yours too. We have seen lots of tears and had lots of yelling from our little girl but overall she is doing pretty well. They have had really good moments of playing and sharing. Hung does a pretty funny imitation of Lily putting her hands on her hips and yelling. He is quite the little mimic and has a wicked sense of humor. It helps that Lily is getting extra grandma loving from Mam Maw.
And Miss Lily? Well.....its hard not being the center of attention after 3 years. It is hard to share your toys with someone who does not want to share theirs but wants all yours too. We have seen lots of tears and had lots of yelling from our little girl but overall she is doing pretty well. They have had really good moments of playing and sharing. Hung does a pretty funny imitation of Lily putting her hands on her hips and yelling. He is quite the little mimic and has a wicked sense of humor. It helps that Lily is getting extra grandma loving from Mam Maw.
Marshall is just glad to be home and to have his own room and have his bass guitar. He is still very jet lagged, going to bed at 4 in the afternoon and waking in the middle of the night. This morning he got up early and he and Hung were in the front yard by 7 am kicking a ball, blowing bubbles and just generally having a great time together. Jim and I breathed a big sigh of relief. This is the moment Marshall has waited for for 2 years - a brother he can play with. Now that Marshall is back on his own territory, he is ready for it. He and Lily taught Hung how to ride a bike today in about 10 minutes. Hung got mad that Lily was whizzing by him and he pedaled like a mad man to catch her. A very determined little guy. Lily and Hung both fought me for almost 2 hours this afternoon about going down for a nap. They giggled and stalled on and on until I finally separated them. Just like siblings do. Has it really only been two weeks? We are so blessed.

12 Comments:
I've been stalking your site since Saturday! It's so good to hear that all is well in Duda world!! Congratulations, get some sleep and enjoy!
Mary Li,
I throughly enjoyed "taveling" with you and your beautiful family. Your blog was a blast to read. Viet Nam looks like a great place to visit, beautiful scenery, buildings and lots of "people watching"....but there's no place like home.
You are truly blessed with 3 fantastic children and I can't wait to see you all at the next Mei Dreamers reunion.
Penny Richardson
What an amazing story. I had goose bumps reading it. What a blessing that he has fit in so well with your family. I have so enjoyed reading your blog and hope you continue to write as your journey continues.
Cheryl F.
Welcome home!!!!
Kym
Welcome Home!!!!! Yeah!! You guys are finally all together at HOME! I'm sure it feels great. Hopefully you don't have jet lag for too long. Thanks for sharing so much of your journey with us. All of the pictures are great. I love seeing Hunter's big smile!
Love,
Annette
Part 2--You certainly ARE blessed! Three amazing kids all under the same roof. Hung's smile is absolutely contagious & it sounds like he's ready to be home...forever.
: )
Sheri, David, Micah & Adria
Wow! I am so happy things are going well for all of you. Hung looks wonderful...I love seeing his smile.
I should put this as a comment on your previous post, but I'm here...our experience going through customs at LAX was very similar to yours going through Atlanta. (Minus Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, though.) The whole customs-thing seems to be hit or miss. I'm glad you didn't miss your connecting flight.
e
Welcome home, sweet friends!
It brought me to tears reading your homecoming story - how touching and I am thrilled you are home; I bet it still hasn't completely set in yet! Hung is a precious boy and your other kids are angels for loving him the way they have! We can't wait to see you and get some much- needed rest! Love and Hugs,
Greg, Amy and Lexie
Such a beautiful family. Looks like things are going well. I love the part about all his firsts. I was also amazed about how many firsts we got to share with Sam and continue to as well.
It looks like Hung really looks up to Marshall. I love the pics!
Beautiful Eyes is HOME at last! I just got God-chills as I typed that!!! Thank you so much for letting us follow along on your incredible journey to Hunter. He is such a WONDERFUL boy!
Mary Li and Jim,
I'm in the Philippines right now and just catching up with your journey home. Wow! It's like Hung has always been part of your family. I guess he has, through the years of longing and waiting to bring him home. A dream finally coming true! So beautiful!
-Rob
Sounds like everything is going so great already! The smile on Hunter's face is just priceless. It's so nice to finally see him home at last.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home