Tuesday, November 17, 2009

When God Throws You A Line









Have you ever had one of those days when you just feel like you can barely drag yourself out of bed? Despite all the good things in your life, the day ahead just seems insurmountable even though its really no different than any other? Five or six fairly sleepless nights in a row due to kids in the bed, crazy vivid dreams, dogs needing to go out in the middle of the night, peri-menopausal hot flashes, etc... resulted in that kind of day for me. I just couldn't get going. I woke up from maybe 2 hours of solid sleep with a horrible cramp in my neck and shoulder, a head ache behind my left ear and the general blahs. I even came home early to try and give myself an hour or two of sleep before having to pick up the kids but wound up working off my blackberry. In the middle of the day I got an e-mail from middle school about several missing and failing assignments for Number 1 son. Then I picked up Mr. Kindergarten who, for the 6th day in a row, got a note home from the teacher "too hyper, won't pay attention, joking around." My dear husband missed the exit to pick up the Princess and wound up coming home an hour later than expected and had to rush to Boy Scouts with Marshall. My mood was not improving and my shoulder still hurt. I was not in the mood to be left at home with the Energizer bunnies that are my 6 and almost 5 year old.

Then, God threw me a life line. Although Lily has always had a radio in her room, she never uses it. I use it in times of desperation to try and get her to sleep with James Taylor or Chinese lullabies. Hunter, who tonight is not allowed to watch TV, use the computer or play video games due to his unwillingness to control himself at school, in his quest to quell boredom, figured out how to turn on the radio. While I was doing the dishes and feeling quite sorry for myself, all of a sudden, 60s rock comes blaring out of Lily's room. The two monkeys come running out and beg me to join them in her room. They start dancing their asses off! It is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I started laughing so hard I thought was going to wet my pants. Then he found a country station! He was getting down. Just when I thought I need to seriously think about anti-depressants or start reading the books on post-adoption blues, I get this gift. Thank you, Lord!!! Tomorrow WILL be a better day. :)

Now for a quick November update. My sweetheart and I celebrated our 7th anniversary with a quick weekend trip to Dallas. Grandma gave us the best gift and watched the kids. I have never been but Jim lived there for 11 years. We went to Ft. Worth, saw the Botanical Gardens, had lunch with Annette and Dustin who waited two long years to bring home their sweet Dannette from Dong Nai, saw the cattle herded into the stockyards, had dinner with an old friend of Jim's, went to Half Price Books (we need one here!), saw the campus of UT Dallas, had breakfast at La Madeline (we need one here!), saw the Trammel Crow Asian Art exhibit, checked out Deally Plaza and the Texas State fairgrounds (all in two days!). It was wonderful and much needed reconnect time. My how our lives have changed in such a short time but how our love grows and grows...

Other firsts for Hunter in the last few weeks have been at a local church fair - first pony ride, first Ferris wheel ride, first roller coaster ride with big brother. Hunter is fearless. He even went on the crazy way up in the air gondola ride (which scared me half to death to watch!). We also had Hunter's first marshmallow roast with Uncle David at the house this weekend. Thanksgiving, here we come! As things get crazier at your homes over the next few weeks with the holidays, school out, travel or relatives, look for the line God will be throwing you too! :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Valorie Leonard said...

Oh yeah! Next anniversary trip to Guam? :)

November 19, 2009 at 4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God for those lifelines. My post-adoption depression has morphed into generalized midlife crisis. Hang in there, everyone knows you ROCK! Now get some sleep before you have a psychotic break. I almost had one the other day during a playdate from hell with two high maintenance 3 year old girls, not the kind of thing you can blog about!:)

November 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Stevens Family said...

Happy Anniversary. Sounds like you had a great trip. It's so fun to meet up with families we've known for months or years but never met in person.
Such a cute story how your kiddos gave you a boost when you were feeling down. I so love that! :)

November 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home