Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween is near!!!






Boo! Halloween has long been my favorite holiday. I have fond memories of running through the neighborhood for hours with my friend, Helen Paterson, carrying loaded down pillowcases of treats! Candy was allowed in our house 3 times a year - Christmas, Easter and Halloween! And of course, as a kids, you only control the candy load at Halloween! Helen and I would go back to her house, dump out the goods and endlessly offer trades for what each of us considered the best candy combinations. Perhaps why she and I are good negotiators to this day? I can't imagine letting my kids run from house to house, unsupervised for hours gathering candy from strangers. Maybe its why they don't get into it like I do. Helen now lives in New Zealand where she has been a one woman organizer of all things Halloween. After many years of pushing, her neighbors and their kids have gotten into the spirit! A special thank you to my old neighbor from Memphis, Ed, who helps me get in the spirit each year with a series of great Halloween cards and little treats! I love those orange envelopes.

Perhaps my favorite Halloween was last year. We trick or treated with the Spotts whose son, Jacob, had just come home from China in August. He was 6 and already understanding much of what was said to him and communicating very well in English. After 1 house, Jacob fully understood the concept of knock on the door, shout with glee and get handfuls of candy! He ran ahead of us all and when people didn't open the door immediately, he charged in on his own in a few houses! His exuberance was exactly what Halloween is supposed to be - a magical night of friendship, make believe and fun. Tummy aches and sugar rushes may come later but this year - its on a Friday night! So what?! We all survived it, right?
So, please don't sit home, bah humbug the day with moans of "commercialism" or worse yet "paganism." Lighten up. Go buy a few bags of chocolate (no one likes the healthy snacks!), turn on the front porch light, enjoy the parade of little ones and help them make some memories! Happy Halloween! (p.s. - Mom, thank you for the home made Betsy Ross and gypsy costumes! They were my favorites!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Valorie Leonard said...

Mary Li---I LOVE the pumpkin patch photos! We'll have to miss those this year, but plan on many other festivities. I'm looking forward to the unveiling of the costumes!

October 26, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home