Day 3 Together







We didn't do much on day 3. We walked around the hotel about and to Hoa Kiem lake. Our boy is saying a few English words:
"No!"
"Lily!" (which saounds like "Lay lay")
"TV" (which sounds like Elvis according to Marshall - think "tay vay!")
I could have sworn this morning he said "That is not nice" which he has heard a bunch from little sister.
We saw our first tears yesterday when Jim tried to make Hung take a nap. The tears lasted about a minute until he suckered Dad into letting him stay up. Yes, he has us all wrapped around his little fingers. I swore I wasn't going to carry him last night because my back is killing me but he said "Up" and looked at me pleadingly with those beautiful eyes.
Our boy fancies himself the Vietnamese playboy. Starting at the airport we saw him take his few coins out of his pocket when he saw a pretty waitress and then shout something at her. This continued in Hanoi at Al Fesco's restaurant and again this morning at the buffet. We found a waitress who could speak English and asked her to tell us what he is saying. Our 35 pound Don Juan was yelling "Hey baby...come here!" No joke. I couldn't help but bust out laughing. Jim made Hung apologize to the waitresses he had been summoning. The waitress thinks he did not know what he was saying but why is he taking out his money every time? Hmmmmm..
We wonder if he was going to school with the Vietnamese mob. We have seen simulated throat slashing, punching, stabbing and gun action. Now, I have never allowed Lily or Marshall to even pretend play guns. The only "guns" they have ever touched are water pistols friends have brought over to our pool so this is some behavior we will have to modify quickly. The understands "no," "come here," "sit down" and "kiss please." He is demanding lots of hugs which is just the way we want it. Lily are Marshall are doing fine. Grandmas - we could use some baby proofing at the house before we get home. The boy wants to touch everything electronic including sockets!
Mrs. Moore and Mrs. Watson - Marshall is doing his homework and helping us convert US dollars to Vietnamese dong.
We are all doing fine and the adjustment really is coming along. We are taking it day by day. Jim and I wake up and say, "how will we wear Hung out today?" The kids have been troopers walking around but it is beastly hot even for Floridians so we are keeping the sight seeing to a minimum right now and in small doses.
We are all doing fine and the adjustment really is coming along. We are taking it day by day. Jim and I wake up and say, "how will we wear Hung out today?" The kids have been troopers walking around but it is beastly hot even for Floridians so we are keeping the sight seeing to a minimum right now and in small doses.
Wendi, Annette and Eva - we booked an overnight tour today with Kangaroo Cafe for Halong Bay on Sunday and Monday. Pretty reasonable. You have to go in person and they only take cash. They took a deposit and it will be refunded if the weather isn't good enough for the cruise. We better find some kids Dramamine! Gals - save the sickness bags from the airplane ride and snatch up some extras. :)

8 Comments:
I love the details. Yes, keep the bags. It is a 3 1/2 hr ride out to the boat! However, the water was very calm! I can't wait to hear about how the cruise is. It has to be better than ours!
Too funny with the "Hey baby . . ." to the waitresses! Our Hung was also very talkative, borderline obnoxious with the waitresses at the Somerset. They were always wonderful with him, though. And they helped us a lot with translating! If you think of it one day, ask a few of them if they remember us from February! Tell them we said, "hi" and that Hung is doing well! When I showed Hung your pictures from yesterday, he recognized the one of Marshall sitting in the restaurant booth! He said, "Vietnam, khac san (hotel), Mom, Dad, Nick, Amy, no Teri". It was pretty cool!
Our Hung also playacts quite violent behavior. It's always in fun, though. I've never seen it acted out in a mean or angry way, so I'm just assuming it's something they saw on VN TV, maybe? Even the VN book he has been reading apparently has a violent theme to it!
Glad to hear things are going so well! I remember those early morning discussions about how to keep our Hung busy and occupied for the day!! :) Hang in there! It DOES get better! {{HUGS}}
Thanks so much for letting us share this experience with you. We love all of the updates!
Thanks for the tip about the airplane bags! We will definitely heed that advice.
You continue to be in our prayers daily.
Love,
Annette
I couldn't help but laugh at the comment he made to the waitress!!! He is such a cutie pie!! So glad to hear everything is going well! There has to be a marathon or something you can enter him in so he will be worn out at the end of the day!! HAHA!!! Enjoy the HaLong Bay trip! Love all the pics...keep them coming!
I am so glad things are going so well! I remember wishing there were places we could just let TM run...and we found them on our second adoption. Other than spending lots of time in the pool, you could try the Ethnology Museum. I would focus on the outside exhibits (which are very cool). The inside is interesting but very museum-ish...not good for active little boys. You could also try Lenin Park. (It's at the southern end of the French quarter.) I think the entrance fee is something like 1000 dong. There is playground equipment and snack stands...and places to sit in the shade while the littles run off some energy.
Enjoy! Everytime I read about someone's trip to VN it makes me want to be back there.
Mary Li and family - congratulations to all of you! Hunter is absolutely adorable and I loved the "Hey baby..." story. Too cute! Enjoy your time in Vietnam and I can't wait to hear more when you get back. Safe travels to all of you!
Mel
I love your stories. Hung's flirting with the waitress is very funny. I bet this was not in the Holt report :)
I am glad you got your Halong trip booked - it is supposed to be quite a place. I can't wait to hear more!
Like Val said, love all the details!! Thank you for sharing. Hung sounds like such a little character. Sure wonder where he got he cat calls??? Funny.
Glad to hear you all are doing well and bonding is going well. Have fun touring around.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home