Wednesday, August 18, 2010

We are winners!





Hunter and Lily followed in Marshall’s foot steps and they had their first karate belt test a few weeks ago. It was so nice to have all our kids testing at one time instead of trying to hold Lily back from the floor when Marshall was testing. All three did great. Because Marshall already has his black belt, he did the test for practice only.

This year they gave awards for “best test” in the categories of beginners, intermediate and advanced. On Friday morning, Hunter told me he knew was going to get a trophy or medal for best test. I told him to try his best but to remember that 40 other kids were testing at the same time. He said “Why I not get trophy like Marshall?! He got trophy – I get trophy!” On the way to the karate studio, Jim and I talked about how difficult our night would become if either Lily or Hunter won best test and the other didn’t.

When it was time to hand out the beginner award, the karate master said they had a very tough time deciding because there were 2 kids that were tied. But, since they could only pick one, it went to Hunter. He stood up to get his certificate and award and the karate master leaned over to tell Lily that she also did great. Ms. Lily apparently decided that she must have also won best test because she jumped up and shook the karate Master’s hand and bent down for a medal to be placed on her neck. He looked at is wife and then told the crowd “Or…you do what God says,” and promptly placed a medal on her neck and handed her someone else’s certificate! I found out later that they were, in fact, torn between Hunter and Lily.

Afterwards, we took a picture with the karate masters who own the school and Lily and Hunter were both beaming from ear to ear. Lily held up her medals and exclaimed with one arm around her brothers “We are WINNERS!!” Later, the karate master said that her excitement alone justified them changing their minds on the spot and giving her an award too. They are printing up her certificate this week.

I love that Hunter set his mind to something and made it happen. He really shined during the test. I love even more that Lily had the confidence that she too deserved recognition and had the innocence and gumption to jump up and go for it! Best of all, I love that the teachers felt God telling them to do what they felt was right for our kids and they weren’t afraid to do it and say it in front of all those other families and children. Thank you, Master Tim and Ms. Debbie! We are truly blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home