Day 1 - Saigon
Our first full day in Ho Chi Minh City was an adventure. The kids were up early and we got out to the Ben Thanh market before it was too sweltering. Rows and rows of all kinds of goods are everywhere. Crossing the street was quite a challenge but we took the advice of fellow adoptive families and just struck out at the cross walk, looked ahead, tried to ignore the blaring car horns and whizzing motor bikes and made it across. The first time we did it, I thought "Gee, not so bad. What is the big deal?" But by the 10th or 11th time, it is evident how it can really get on your nerves. Everywhere we went people pointed at Lily and asked "Vietnam baby?" and said "lucky girl!!" A few people wanted to touch her. We were greeted with many smiles and many vendors who wanted us to buy their goods. Our first purchase was a set of 10 postcards for a dollar outside Notre Dame Cathedral. We mailed a postcard home to Hunter. Our second purchase taught us a lesson. A vendor insisted on chopping off the top of a coconut for a drink for Lily. We said no but he put it in her hands. She became shy and turned her face and so I took it and took a sip. Then the negotitiations began. The guy wanted us to pay 100,000 dong. Jim offered him a dollar and he seemed mad. I offered him two and he refused insisting he only took dong. I wound up giving him 40,000 (a little over 2$) and walking away and he was fine. Next time, the price it set before any goods get in anyone's hands! After a few hours walking around, we were all hot and sweaty. Luckily our hotel has a beautiful pool anad the water was perfect. Jim went to the War Remnants Museum and saw quite a moving display about the 'American War" while the kids and I took a nap. They went down at 3 pm and at 9:35 pm, they are back asleep after being awake for about 15 minutes. The jet lag is brutal. We are loving being here. Tomorrow is our last day as a family of 4! Happy Easter! I have it on good authority that the Easter bunny knows we are here.











13 Comments:
What fun!! You're making us homesick for Vietnam. Make sure you take it easy and rest up on Sunday...cause Monday's gonna be a BIG day!!!!!!!!!
Happy, Happy Easter!!
Remember...chocolate bunnies melt FAST in Vietnam!
Love,
Rob and Christel
Wow! It is so good to see you in Saigon!!!! Soon, very,very soon Hunter will be with you too! I can't wait to see those pictures! Many blessings!
Carol, Mark, Hannah & Josiah
Fabulous photos. Looks so European (I know about the European Influence, can definitely see it).
Thinking of you
WOW Lily has gotten soo big!
missing you too!
Your photos make me want to go on a trip again!
Sorry for the double post yesterday. Actually did not think either of them made it through! Glad to see all the FUN you are having. The picture with all the motorbikes is amazing! So much like China, yet I am not seeing many manual bikes! I love the smiles on your faces. Bet I see even bigger ones soon! :)
Blessings to your family for Easter! Love, Brenda
Ahhhh that brings back great memories of our trip! Loved Ben Thanh market....the seafood section was our fav! Well, mine, Tricia loved the shoe area. Looking forward to the pix tomorrow (well today for you) You are soooo close now!!!! YEAH!!!
Glad you're having a good time in Saigon. Have a very happy Easter over there!
So glad to hear you made it safe and sound and are enjoying yoru first days in Vietnam. Hope you all gets some rest and get over the jet lag soon.
Anxiously awaiting those first pics of you all with your sweet Hunter.
Mary Li and Family -
We are so happy that you are finally so close to meeting Hunter! We are excited to be following your journey.
Lon'ee, Caren & Sydnie (from the Tampa waiting families group)
It always brings back such great memories and feelings seeing pictures when another family travels! John was just saying earlier today how much he wants to go back to visit Vietnam again some day. It will be amazing to do that with Nicholas when he gets a little bit older.
I am so excited to see pictures soon of you all with your precious son. It has been WAY too long of a wait for you all but it will be SO, SO sweet to finally be together!!
Glad you are finally in Vietnam. I hope you have a wonderful Easter!
Kym
I am homesick for Vietnam. Great photos! Hope things go well tomorrow. Happy Easter!
Love,
Irene & Matt
Hi Mary Li , Jim , Marshall, Lily and maybe Hunter by the time you read this.
It sound like things are going great in Vietnam we are all so excited for you and will be thinking about you our tonight your tomorrow . Big Hug
John, Pam and LiLi
Happy Easter. I wish I could be there with you. I can't wait until we make our homeland trip back with Joseph and Erika.
Love, Bev., Wayne, Joseph, and Erika
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home